Thursday, December 09, 2004

Ottawa's Trip for CAGI (3 of 3)


I had breakfast with Yuki. She had to go to work, so I strolled down downtown Ottawa by myself prior to my departure to Toronto. I really would like to take pictures of the garden across the US Embassy and overlooking the Parliament Hill, but the paths were covered by snow that turned to ice. It's beautiful but very dangerous. I don't want to get my bones broken when I walk in the park. *smile*

The train to Toronto ran on time, 12:30PM. At Kingston I could see many students got on this train. Probably they were already bound home for holidays.

My mind was still on the meeting... my conversation with Tuti (YAPPIKA*) and Patra and current condition in Indonesia were bothering me. The process to educate and empower Indonesia's civil society is very long and arduous. People learn the hard way... rise and fall many times. Its biggest problem, corruption and weak law enforcement, is still clawing the country. However, despite many flaws, it could ran the past general and presidential elections peacefully. I don't know whether I can see the full transformation in my lifetime. It will be worth to see and experience it. When will it come? Probably, the answer is blowin' in the wind....

How many roads must a man walk down
Before you call him a man?
Yes, 'n' how many seas must a white dove sail
Before she sleeps in the sand?
Yes, 'n' how many times must the cannon balls fly
Before they're forever banned?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind,
The answer is blowin' in the wind.

How many times must a man look up
Before he can see the sky?
Yes, 'n' how many ears must one man have
Before he can hear people cry?
Yes, 'n' how many deaths will it take till he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind,
The answer is blowin' in the wind.

How many years can a mountain exist
Before it's washed to the sea?
Yes, 'n' how many years can some people exist
Before they're allowed to be free?
Yes, 'n' how many times can a man turn his head,
Pretending he just doesn't see?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind,
The answer is blowin' in the wind.

A song by Bob Dylan ~ Blowin' in the Wind


Note: YAPPIKA* is Yayasan Penguatan Partisipasi, Inisiatif, dan Kemitraan Masyarakat Indonesia (Indonesian Foundation to Strengthen Civil Society Participation, Initiatives and Partnerships, currently known as Civil Society Alliance for Democracy).

No comments: